Monday, May 14, 2007

Scarf on! and a magnficent gift

I'm headed out of town tomorrow for a conference and I hope to visit a yarn store during my off hours but it is about 45 minutes from the conference hotel so it may blow my yarn budget to go.

I've just finished the first of a pair of socks and a scarf. When in doubt, when stressed, when bored or when I need a mindless project I always revert to scarves. Scarf on! has the interest for me that Fish on! has for a sportsman or woman. Something about scarves pleases me. I gave nine away to office staffers this year as I convert much of my stash throughout the year into scarves. This particular one looks like fun fur but is a much softer Plymouth 100% nylon version whose name I forget. It is incredibly soft; much more so that its fun fur brethren. The sock, whose mate is going to be made at least in part on this trip to Dallas, is made of Patons Kroy with the pattern that came with the yarn. Nothing too exciting here at the moment.



The magnificent gift of the title is photographed below. My wonderful friend Michelle made me these beautiful fingerless gloves. They are of an otherworldly soft silk in the most beautiful cornflower blue which is not done justice by the photo. My only claim on these is that I reintroduced Michelle to knitting on a trip to Santa Fe a few years ago. These are amazing and I am humbled by her skill and very very grateful because I know how much work goes into something as wonderful as this.



Off I go. To learn and hopefully catch a few knits and purls along the way.

2 comments:

michelle said...

Your friend Michelle must be a wonderful person. To make you something like that is just phenomenal. The power of friendship.....
Love your blog!

Timhotep said...

Wow, those socks are so cool!
They must have taken for ever, but they look great!