Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dallas, the yarn harlot and zero FOs

Blogging may not turn out to be for me...I have missed almost a month already.

I visited a WONDERFUL yarn shop when I was in Dallas. The Shabby Sheep couldn't be any cuter or better stocked and Ronda and Sue are absolutely as friendly as they could be. I needed to call for directions and they were very inviting (and gave good directions...an important detail!) and were even nicer once I go to the store. Incidentally, he store had some great fibers too. If you are even in Dallas, this store is a must see.

You can see the lovely sock yarns I found. I had never seen the Life Style sock yarns before and I can't wait to see these knitted up (in both colorways!). As soon as I have a spare moment, I will be working on these. I also thought the Luna Park bright colors were great. The scarf pin was a special treat for myself. I've wanted one for a long time and really liked this one a lot. And the blue Monte Carlo: it shall be a scarf. I just realized I bought yarn from France, Italy and Germany in Dallas. It was a more cosmopolitan trip than I realized.

On a more local level, I purchased several skeins of alpaca/silk from a local spinner at a local farmer's market. With no project in mind for this wonderful softness, I am afraid it may linger in the stash for a while. My cat finds it irresistible and promptly carried it away as I was photographing it. He is, apparently, an enemy to alpaca everywhere.

Finally, in the same "so much for knitting from the stash" vein, I purchased some nice cotton and bamboo yarn at Close Knit in Portland. These will be my next cast on socks. I thought they would be fun for summer travels.






On Friday, I went to hear Stephanie Pearl-McPhee speak at Powell's bookstore in Portland. A friend came from Seattle to hear her and we had a lovely evening. She was hilarious, her sweater really was green and there was such an amazing sense of community sitting with knitters and crocheters and laughing together in a way that only people who truly understand can do. She has an amazing message about the way we downplay our art too. She links to many bloggers on her posting about the site who can do the evening more justice than I can. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures of the event.

As for current works in project, I am working on a large crocheted (I know, "Knitterchatter," but I do both when the need arises) afghan for a friend who will be moving into a new home at the end of the month. Luckily it has been cool and rainy here so it isn't bad working on this. I am watching funny movies as I work on it to build in as much happy mojo as possible. It is an easy pattern so it doesn't require a lot of focus. After that it will be a pink scarf for a past colleague recently diagnosed with breast cancer and then on to the socks.

I have a bit of vacation coming up and besides sleep, knitting is my number one objective. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Timhotep said...

Wow, you got to see the Yarn Harlot in person? How cool is that!