Saturday, January 19, 2008

Scarves (what a suprise) and a purchase

In my quest to be a better knitter, I finally purchased some supplies that could take my skills up a notch. I HATE blocking and decided that perhaps with the proper tools, I wouldn't be so averse to this project.

If you tilt your head to the side (I will learn how to blog properly...I will learn how to blog properly...), you can see that I purchased a lovely wire blocking set as well as a blocking cover and sock blockers. You'll notice, of course, that they aren't out of their packaging but I have finished the japanese vines scarf and hope to block it tomorrow between football games. I don't know how to use the wires yet so I'll be doing a bit of research on that.

Look at me go. I figured out how to rotate this picture. I am WAY too lazy tonight to go back and fix the other one but this one is best seen right side up. This one is also made with two skeins of Baby Alpaca Grande by Plymouth. (110 yards per skein which moves me forward nicely in my quest to knit a mile) I crafted this for a very wonderful friend (since 9th grade which has been a longer time than I will admit to a blog)who is now embarking on a wonderful adventure to (fortunately for her, her friend the knitter) a very cold place. You'll note the pattern is the same as the one I made for DH for Christmas. Every stich was made with love, positive thoughts and best wished for a grand time. Bon Voyage, Deanne. You will be missed but I am so excited for you.

This is Russell. My DH maintains that there is a very strong link between knitting blogs and cats. Who am I to rail against the norm? Russell watched me take a couple of pictures and then said hey, I need to be in a picture and, more importantly, somewhere where you can see me. He is a darling pound kitty who is usually quite content to bother the other pets and leave knitting along.



This is another scarf I finished this week. It is, indeed, black and orange and to be honest, I am not sure how this came into my stash. I hope that I bought this when a friend got a job at a school whose colors are black and orange. I honestly don't like the way this came out. Too Halloweenish. The yarn was Maggi Knits, MK Colection, Mohair Loop (136 yarns). I did a cast on of 15 and made the whole thing in garter stitch. It was a hassle to work with though wonderfully soft. I think this one will end up being a gift for someone.

So in my quest to knit a mile I am currently at 150 for the Japanese Vine scarf (that only accounts for what I knit after the challenge started), 220 for the Baby Alpaca Grande and 136 for the boucle mohair for a total of 506 yards. I think I can make it. The two football games tomorrow should help.

No comments: